Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Supreme Architect


There are several things that decide a buying. I am talking about buying books. Once in a classroom of adult boys and girls of about eighteen or more years of age, i put the question of eliciting their response about buying books. So many hands went up when i had asked them whether they had bought any books in a book-shop. As i narrowed down the point of my knowing i began seeing the raised hands deplete. I pruned or re-phrased my question to know whether any of them bought any book without the book being suggested by any source, like prescribed text piece, recommended by elders or friends, a popular best seller, a much advertised one or something that was the need of the hour. I hardly came across any hoisted hand dangling in the air afore me. The question was a tricky one as it tried to find out the act of voluntary choosing of one in being a book-consumer.

What decides a book-buying? With my very little experience as a buyer of books, all i can suggest is that a supreme force that is beyond the grasp of any earthly perception. I have never felt sorry for choosing any book. I often go through the first page of any book that describes a little about the writer as well as the book. On all occasions i feel an urge in me to choose the book in prospect of being bought. There are occasions that i left the book-shop, after spending several minutes, without buying even a single book. And, there are occasions that i chose books in a matter of seconds and left the stores instantly. For these two contrasting behaviour, i believe only chance can answer. I pray to that supreme force, a Deist term i believe, to confer the ever fierce flame of desire to buy books burn in me.

4 comments:

  1. sometimes our purse alone decides the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book reading has fallen to large extent both in tamil as well as in english. Libraries are dying out.Moreover publishing houses are concentrating on text books.I don'tknow how far reading can take the competition from the internet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely it is a grave threat to reading. I wish it would subsist with limited resources of readers.

    ReplyDelete