Friday, February 25, 2011

Is there God?


Is there God? In one of my lecturing sessions, i kick started a heated argument amongst students. Some students felt offended as i spoke more of a heretic rather than a believer in god. As some of them started questioning my outlook as i usually daub my forehead with the holy ash, vermilion and sandalwood paste. I told them i was introduced to all these things when i was very young. I have not still come out of them as i myself am not sure of the belief in god nor the disbelief grows powerful enough to detach me completely from those practices. I honestly am not sure of any certainties on the existence or non-existence of a phenomenon called God. The belief system is old and powerful and has evolved long to reach its full-grown state. Such things could not have been built on flimsy ideologies. That makes it difficult for anyone to throw away the system impulsively. Or if its done by somebody, then he or she is absolutely whimsical. I am still learning more on this subject through the day to day happenings. On occasions my heretical speech is the outcome of trying to remove the possible definitions that falsely promise one as the happenings of god. Or the attempts of someone to firmly entrench the concept of God by showing certain material success as acts of god. The quest is endless and requires one's lifetime or more than that to come out with anything apparently decisive.

5 comments:

  1. A brave confession indeed. Self, God etc. are some areas where people fear to think very deeply and sincerely because the reality is going to be very shocking. Dreams are very comfortable. i remember having read from one of Eric Fromm's books where he says that man's greatest taboo is not even sex but knowing oneself. Here I think, in the journey of quest towards god or self the path is more important than where it leads to 'cause I really wonder if anything of the seeker would be left at the end! and that I feel is so beautiful and overwhelming that you disappear like a raindrop in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sky is my father and the earth my mother;
    As I play on my mom's lap,my dad watches over me.
    This is my favorite vision of the mystical.

    Thoughts such as these sustain us and whether such belief is a well founded scientific hypothesis or a blind following of rituals, it sustains us. Prayer, in particular, is a powerful tool that helps in self actualization as well as in the actualization of our goals.

    Good topic bala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For many of us, prayer and a belief in a Cosmic Monitor will do for an enjoyable life. I do not have a complete trust in both of them. I may be wrong. However, for me they are yet to prove their presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOD is invented by means of Human Fear.

    Necessity is the mother of all inventions.

    In assumption, if there is No Death, No Ageing, No Pain, No Physical Difference as like birds, animals, No Difference in status ... in short if there is No Mind then there is No God.

    Prayer is true / becomes true as genuine as it is build up in Sub-Conscious.

    To identify one's 'SELF' Or Self Realisation is the ultimate clarity which there ends every thing (Theories) Or there starts every thing (Life)..

    I'm not an atheist.

    But I'm against of all portrayal's and theories of God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Thiru, I have relished your comments with much happiness and warmth. I realise well that all that you have written must have come from your own experience and exposure. Fine. Good. And thanks for them.

    ReplyDelete